Steve Reilley joined Blue Williams in 2021 as a partner in the Houston office, where he represents individuals, businesses, and carriers in courts across Texas. Steve has represented clients in a variety of matters regarding claims of premises liability, products liability, transportation liability, consumer and DTPA liability, insurance bad faith liability, intentional tort and commercial disputes.
Mr. Reilley graduated from the University of Texas at Austin School of Law, where he served as an assistant editor for the Texas International Law Journal. He also attended the University of Texas at Austin as an undergraduate and obtained a Bachelor of Arts with Highest Honors (Phi Beta Kappa and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies). Mr. Reilley obtained bilingual status in Spanish on the U.S. Foreign Service style exam after completing studies at Proyecto Linguistico Francisco Marroquin in Antigua, Guatemala. Mr. Reilley is certified as a mediator, and he frequently volunteers his services. Mr. Reilley founded Thompson & Reilley, P.C. in 1997, where he successfully represented clients as lead counsel in thousands of cases, and his practice continues to grow following the merger with Blue Williams. Mr. Reilley focuses on general civil defense litigation, including insurance defense, property and casualty litigation, business disputes and advisory work for carriers and corporations.
- JD, The University of Texas at Austin, 1994
- BA, The University of Texas at Austin, 1990 with highest honors
Mr. Reilleyâ€™s legal practice includes commercial litigation, trial of personal injury claims (including trucking, automobile and premises liability suits), insurance coverage disputes, product liability claims, contract matters, business disputes, and collection matters. Mr. Reilley frequently prepares papers, courses, and presentations for Continuing Education programs. Mr. Reilley is licensed to practice in all Texas state courts, the Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. Mr. Reilley volunteers regularly in the community including fund-raising for the Houston Area Womenâ€™s Center. He volunteers his legal services to the Houston Volunteer Lawyer Program, the Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, the Harris County Dispute Resolution Center, and to victims of Hurricanes Ike and Harvey.
- AVÂ® Peer Review Rated certification mark from Martindale-Hubbell
- H Magazine “Lawyer for the People”
- Inducted into the State Bar of Texas Pro Bono College for “outstanding contributions in the delivery of legal services to low-income Texans”
Bar, Courts & Professional Affiliations
Mr. Reilley is a member of the Houston and Texas Bar Associations, as well as the Texas Association of Defense Counsel and the Defense Research Institute. He is licensed to practice in all Texas state courts. He is also admitted to the United States District Court for the Southern, Northern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Advises a major Texas hospital group in general casualty claims including premises liability suits and transportation claims in courts across Texas. Also advises the hospital group on subrogation matters related to its employee benefit program.
- Defends the largest fast and casual dining restaurant group in Texas in premises, food borne illness, transportation, and general liability claims.
- Represents a Fortune 50 company in courts across Texas in commercial and personal injury cases.
- Served as lead counsel in over 4,000 litigated trucking cases and personal lines auto suits along the Texas Gulf cost and in every part of the state.
- Represents manufacturers and distributors of products in wrongful death, personal injury and property damage claims, including claims related to oil field equipment, fall protection, playground equipment, heavy industrial machinery.
- Counsels and educates carriers on resolution of catastrophic injury and difficult fatality claims.